Monday, December 8, 2008

No school for Eva until 2009

Well, Eva is not going back to school this year of 2008. He said, "She can go next Monday if you really have to get back to work. But, if it was my kid, I'd keep them home until after Christmas break." He said that by Jan, she should be 98% healed, and she'd only be to about 25% or something before that.... plus a nurse would have to give her the meds at school and that takes an hour and a half. Plus, she has at least 2 appts a week with home health and doctors....so she'll be staying home. The IV meds need to continue for 4 weeks total, so until after Christmas. Any longer than that and he says the risks outweigh the preventative benefits at that point. No gym or recess for 6 months. She won't need to wear a helmet. (I might make her anyways for my sanity?)

We've changed the med time to 10am, 4pm, 10pm and 4am. I can then return to work part-time and Chris will take some time off as well. I just can't let anyone else do the meds. I would be a crazy, worrying mess. I have some great friends that are going to help me get the boys to daycare so that I can do the meds in the morning and do some "home-work" with Eva and get to work. We have also had wonderful, wonderful people supply us with meals. I didn't think we needed this, but it sure has made this event bearable instead of only stressful. It has given us much more pleasant evenings together as a family. Not to mention all the gifts to keep Eva from her boredom death-bed. She can now have visitors and go out to places very carefully with us. Oh yeah, and the doctor was ridiculously nice. Just the best. Even took her staples out himself. He was with us for 45 minutes explaining everything. I think I may have jumped the gun on blasting him so badly.

An insurance guy had to come and get a statement today. Whew. Not fun re-living that story word for word. At least I have to try a bit to see that horrible picture in my head instead of every time I close my eyes.


Eva's kindergarten class wants to know what she's doing at home. She made this garden that a friend of mine sent her. She does arts and crafts and homework. She watches videos while she gets her medicine or we read books. She values her brothers more than even to provide her with entertainment because Chris and I are not funny according to her.

We play lots of "Guess Who" and she plays a new video game hand-held thing, both of which were great gifts. We made this Gingerbread house... which Eva has eaten 50% of the roof off. She also went out in the snow with her dad and crawled around. I even caught her making a snow angel and holding her broken head up out of the snow!
Miss G said the kindergartners would like to see the staples. There they are. They came out today. It really, really, really hurt. They did not just "fall" out like I've seen on new-knees. They were stuck and bled a lot. It was quite the screaming and crying, even for 30 minutes afterwards.




No comments: